Wednesday 4 March 2015

A little spark of Joy

Hey guys,

After days of failed attempts, I have finally got my laptop to stop malfunctioning and work in a somewhat 'normal' way.

Let me start off by saying "Hello" I  have missed talking to you all for a week. What you've missed out on:

  • A two day mock examination for Maths, Science and English on Monday and Tuesday
  • My third failed dentist braces-removal appointment (my advice to anyone who also wears braces will be to follow exactly what your orthodontist says). The longer you misbehave, the longer you have to wear your braces
  • Linking to the above point. I was planning to have my braces off for my 16th birthday (which happens to be on the 12th of this month) but now I'm just going to have to deal with it
  • Lectures from teachers about how close we all are to our GCSEs and finishing secondary school for good
  • Being forced to think about "what I want to be in the future". I mean, yes. I know what kind of job I want -almost anything that involves travelling the world and meeting new people. Maybe even going back to live in Abu Dhabi or Dubai (if I'm lucky)

Moving on, today has been quite eventful for me. Starting off, I just realised that -in my futile efforts to find comfort whilst laying in bed writing this post- I have ripped my t-shirt in three places. The struggles.

Secondly today, I had an interview with my first option for a Sixth Form to attend this year.
Have you ever had that feeling of confidence when you hear the idea of something and think to yourself "I'm going to go in there and be 100% confident and perfect"? Yeah, so have I. 
I realised just how mentally unprepared I was. Interviews, regardless of how "scary" or even "casual" they are described to be, are always nerve-racking. The feeling that someone else has complete control over whether you achieve what it was you were applying for is one of the scariest experiences ever. I could literally feel myself shaking was I walked through the doors.

Then I took a seat.
And the woman interview was soo kind and warm.
I left that room with my mum; a large smile plastered on my face.

As hard, or even potentially cliché this may sound- if you just let loose and be yourself; show your personality as well as your skill set/qualifications, regardless of whether you get the place or not, you can leave the building with a smile on your face and a little spring in your step. Oh, and if you too are attending any interviews (where you too have to take a parent) as much as you want to take charge -as it is YOUR interview- my advice will be that you to also allow your parent to chime in as well (if you feel nervous). I can 100% say that having my mum by my side today was very beneficial to my interview. 



Anyway, I've got another quote and picture for you all,
Hmm...HMM..

I sometimes find that in interviews you learn more about yourself than the person learned about you.
William Shatner

No comments:

Post a Comment