Thursday 23 July 2015

Summer Movie List

Hey guys,

I often find myself eagerly counting down the last few precious days left of school before summer begins, but a couple of days into the holiday, I become fed-up and bored. 
That's just what summer is. 
Expectations vs. Reality -unfortunately for us, reality always seams to win that battle.

Now, I am aware that many students (everyone who wasn't doing their GCSEs) broke up from school yesterday. So for those of you who are already experiencing this, I have compiled a little list of some of my all-time favourite movies (that you really should already have watched).

Granted, most of these movies were released before the year of be 2006. And I know what you're probably thinking. "but Jess... These were all filmed before we had good graphics and is probably going to be boring". 
One thing I've learnt along my movie journey is to never judge a movie by when it was made. Just because it's an old movie doesn't automatically mean the movie is of bad quality.
Another thing I have also learnt during this painfully dull week is that despite the fact that we may know if movies, we might not necessarily have watched them. I'm not even sure if I'm making any sense any more, but what I mean is -for example- everyone knows about the movie King Kong. Am I correct in saying so? But it was only a couple of weeks ago that I actually realised that I had never watched the original movie (which was very entertaining and dramatic by the way).

Grease (1978)

This should come to no surprise to you. Grease is an absolute classic.

 Musicals aren't usually my cup of tea. By this I mean if I was given the choice of watching a musical or eating Marmite, it would definitely take me a minute or two to come to a final conclusion.
But although I will always fail to understand the need for random, completely unprovoked singing and dancing in the middle of a scene, I love the movie Grease and it's not hard to see why. 
I mean... Who doesn't like themselves a young John Travolta?

The prestige (2006)

This is a movie that I've only watched recently.  I was at my friends house (Maya) earlier this week for a "movie marathon" -which didn't quite work out as I arrived late and one of our friends had to leave early.

I remember being very reluctant to watch this, but if you were there you wouldn't blame me for that. I only wish you had heard the way in which she described the movie to me!
You would have had the exact same reaction. Her summary of the movie was somewhere along the lines of "It's about two magicians who are at war with one another and one does something to the other. Okay, that was a bad explanation, but it is a really good movie".
Sounds amazing right?
No.
Despite the horrible (although quite accurate) explanation, as soon as she informed me that Hugh Jackman was starring in it, I was sold. 

In my brief opinion, the movie was surprisingly really good -at least "good" in comparison to my unbelievably low expectations for it.

The Truman show (1998)

Most of these movies were introduced to me by a friend or family member when I was little. I remember somewhere around 2009-10 my older sister first showed me this movie.
To be completely honest, I might be a bit bias when it comes to recommending this film because I happen to be one of the many people who think Jim Carrey is one of the funniest movie comedians there are and overall is just very amusing to watch. I'd definitely recommend his movies if you're in a sad mood and need a little pick me-up or just in the mood to laugh.
The Truman show is -in a nutshell- about a salesman who lives every day almost identical to how he lived his last. Every part of his life, from brushing his teeth to when he sleeps, is scheduled and planned, but one day he seems to notice this and (as cliché as this may sound) his life as he knows it begins to change.
Sorry if that was a bad description (I'm almost as bad as Maya) but I am just trying not to give anything away.

Ferris bueller's day off



I absolutely adore this movie. If you are sitting at home bored out of your mind (as I currently am) this is a light-hearted movie that, to be honest, is actually kind of a bad influence on me. It made me consider taking an unauthorised day off school (although I didn't) just like the main character Ferris Bueller. 
It's not my fault.
I just happen to love teen movies of any sort whether it's a: romantic comedy, a drama, a science fiction etc etc.
If you watch this movie and enjoy it, there is also a more modern remake of it starring a few known viners such as  Cameron Dallas and YouTubers such as Andrea Russet (if you are interested). 

Batman: The Dark Knight Rises

I'm not a huge fan of batman. There. I said it.
I find that a rich man in a bat costume and fancy car doesn't really scream HERO. You know? I just feel like there isn't much talent going on and anyone could be Batman. Forgive me if I start to rant but this just gets on my nerves. DC superheroes are nowhere as good as Marvel. *cue the hate from DC fans*
All personal feelings aside...
Heath ledger was an amazing Joker. Perhaps even the best Joker I've seen in any batman movie (which really means nothing coming from me as he is the only Joker I have ever seen in a Batman movie). 
For those of you who don't know, which I would find shocking, but the main summary of this movie is: A villain -who goes by the name The Joker- is wreaking havoc within Gotham (the town in which Batman is set) in attempts to finally take out Batman.

-----------------
p.s there are a lot of other movies that I absolutely love -such as War Of The Worlds- but to spare you the reading time (and increase the movie watching time...you're welcome) I had to narrow the list down.

Anyway, I've got another quote and picture for you all,
Hmm...HMM..

Ferris- Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it

No comments:

Post a Comment