Wednesday 17 September 2014

Art, School and my shattered confidence...

Hey guys,

So this weeks posts (or lack of posts) haven't exactly gone as planned. I usually post something new every day at 8pm, but I think my school schedule has become way too hectic for that any more. I know you're probably thinking "well, you could always schedule the post, you don't always have to type it up on the day" and you're probably right. But if the past is any indication, like oil and water, scheduling and I just don't go together. Just when I thought I had mastered the art of it, a post I had scheduled failed to post and I had to manually post it (when I realised) an hour later (I was really annoyed). Yesterday, I got home really late, like around 8pm so there was no way I could post. I was also really exhausted and almost fainted. Today was practically the same, I stayed behind to finish off my Geograpghy controlled assessment and by the time I got home, I was soo knackered I fell asleep. 

If you want to know when I post, you can sign up for the e-mail alerts or you could just go and follow me on twitter @TrustInJess you'll know it's me because my profile picture is exactly the same as my Google + account.

Enough about that, yesterday I volunteered to stay behind at school to help the art department because it was opening evening. If you don't know what this is, opening evening is when primary school kids )in year six) go on tours around our school with their parents whilst students (such as myself) do some 'work'. In the art room, there were three tables, one in front of the other, and there was three of us, so it only made sense that we sat there. I don't even know why, but I chose to sit at the middle desk. Big mistake.

One of my friends, called Zoe, who is amazing at painting sat in front of me. She usually works on a canvas with oil paint to create amazing portraits in the style of realism (I'll ask her if I can post a few photos of her work) and my other friend, called Kayleigh, works really well with photography and string. She'll take portrait photos of people then stitch into the photos with a needle and thread. And then you have me. I don't really know what I'm good at. Lord knows how I've been getting good marks in art. I'd say I'm good with charcoal. I would like to think I've mastered the art of creating portraits using spray paint and charcoal, but in the style of Alison Lambert and also interpreting the art of decollage.

So, remember what I said. Kayleigh is really good at photography and Zoe is really good at painting. We had to get some of our previous works out onto the our tables, so the passing parents and children could see the standard of work we've been doing. To boost compliments, I put one of Zoe's paintings on my desk before any of the parents arrived. When the tours came 'round to the art room, I had a mixture of my works on the table and Zoe's' painting. My work was greeted with a few good comments by the odd parent or child, but every single parent and child complimented me on her painting, asking me if I had done it and whatnot so I just played along. The massive blow to my confidence in my work is the fact that I only had a few "omg, that looks cool" whereas her painting (on my desk) was welcomed by gasps of amazement and "mum! look at that one, it's sooo realistic and awesome". Sat quitly in front of me, Zoe had a small smile on her face (she could hear every compliment about her work), I just responded saying "Omg hahha I hate you" (before you get too shocked, we have a thing where if we say "I hate you" it basically means that your work is amazing and I wish it was mine). Then the art teacher came around and asked if I could finish my painting and that's when I came clean that it wasn't mine. He picked up the painting and set it back onto Zoes table and that's when all the compliments aimed at my tabled ceased to exist.
Behind me, as you know, sat Kayleigh. She too has amazing work, so the parents and children were complimenting her work and asking her how she did what she did and whatnot, whilst I sat there, almost compliment-less listening to them getting praise.
Now that I think about it, it's quite funny. It's not like I think my work is bad, Sir did say that if I finish everything, I could be looking at an A*, but it's so weird how just a little compliment (or lack of) could make you feel better or worse about something.

Anyway, I've got another quote and picture for you all,
Hmm...HMM..



The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

Audrey Hepburn


No comments:

Post a Comment